The first point to take into account is its purpose. Depending on what you need it for, you should consider the following points:
- Size: It is important to know whether you are looking for a large wallet or a small wallet, as this affects its weight and how easy it is to carry.
- Capacity: Choose a model with enough space to hold the things you need.
- Materials: Leather wallets are more elegant and better able to withstand wear.
- Construction: You can find braided leather wallets that are elegant, but in a more relaxed style.
Types of wallets
There are several types of wallet, the main differences being in size, opening method and the features included.
- Continental or European wallets: The opening is vertical and they often incorporate slots for cards.
- American wallets: The opening is horizontal, originally to provide more space for dollar banknotes, which are very long, so that there are fewer folds and they do not get creased.
- Wallets with a purse: Although they were originally a different type, a space to store coins is often included in the above models today.
- Trifold wallet: As the name suggests, they comprise three sections. They usually have greater capacity.
The origins of wallets
The history of the wallet began in the seventeenth century as a result of the growing use of paper currency. Until then, money was, of course, carried in purses, an item that would eventually be incorporated in the wallet.
As wallets are an eminently practical item, types of wallet and modifications to them have been closely linked to our changing needs over time. For example, slots for cards were added in the 1950s, when this payment system was introduced.
Over time the wallet has increasingly attracted the attention of designers and users, and today it can be considered a style accessory in its own right.
geolocation_country: United States
PS_GEOLOCATION_BEHAVIOR: string(1) "1"